|Pharmacy||Available Doses||Payment Methods||Price||Visit Pharmacy|
|200 mg, 100 mg, 50 mg, 25 mg||from $0.83|
|200 mg, 100 mg||from $1.96|
|100 mg||from $2.27|
Topamax is one of the most multi purpose anticonvulsants of the second generation. Epileptologists recommend using this medication in both monotherapy of epilepsy and in combination with other antiepileptic drugs.
Topamax is a broad-spectrum antiepileptic drug. This drug gently reduces the severity of symptoms of both generalized and focal epilepsy. In addition, Topamax provides a beneficial effect over the symptomatic course of episodic or chronic migraine.
Topamax has several important advantages that make it one of the best medicines for treating migraine and/or epilepsy.
- First, it affects the main mechanisms of the migraine pain pathogenesis;
- Secondly, it helps to successfully control the symptoms of various epilepsy forms;
- Thirdly, Topamax is equally effective in the antiepileptic and antimigraine therapy in both children and adults.
Topamax tablets contain the active ingredient Topiramate, which increases the inhibitory effect of gamma-aminobutyric acid on the CNS and reduces the excitability of certain parts of the brain.
In antiepileptic and anti-migraine therapy, patients can use one of the two Topamax dosage forms:
- Sprinkle capsules of 15 mg, 25 mg and 50 mg
- Tablets of 25 mg, 50 mg, 100 mg, 200 mg, 300 mg and 400 mg
Various mass fractions of the active ingredient allow for the flexible titration of Topamax dose. Thus, the attending physician can easily select a dose of medication for each epileptic patient, depending on the history, concomitant pharmacotherapy, tolerability of treatment, etc.
The most convenient and affordable way to buy Topamax is to use one of the online pharmacies, in which the medicine is sold without a prescription. In addition, online pharmacies provide discounts and offer the delivery of this anticonvulsant directly to the home or office.
Topamax dosage is selected individually and depends on the indications for use and the age of the patient.
- To alleviate the epilepsy symptoms in children older than 2 years and adults, it is sufficient to take 25-50 mg of Topamax every day. The daily dose can be increased once a week by 25 mg.
- In the first 7 days of the anti-migraine therapy, children over 12 years of age and adults can take 25 mg of Topamax once daily.
- Each week of treatment, the daily dose of the drug can be increased by 25 mg.
The initial treatment of epilepsy and migraine with minimal Topamax doses of 25 mg and subsequent gradual titration of the dose reduces the risk of side effects, such as:
- Psychic inhibition and lethargy
- Reduced concentration
To minimize the frequency of epileptic seizures, Topamax should be gradually withdrawn. Epileptologists advise to reduce the daily dose of the drug by 50-100 mg once a week. Complete cancellation of antiepileptic therapy can take 2 to 8 weeks.
In the treatment of epilepsy, Topamax can be used both in monotherapy and in combination with other anticonvulsants. Simultaneous administration of Topamax with Phenytoin, Carbamazepine, Valproic Acid, Phenobarbital or Primidone has proven to increase the efficacy of the antiepileptic therapy.
Despite the effectiveness of combination therapy for epilepsy with Topamax, the use of several anticonvulsant drugs increases the risk of side effects. Patients may experience drowsiness, dizziness, anemia, depression, nausea, or diarrhea.
All side effects that can occur during antiepileptic therapy are dose-dependent, transient and reversible.
Topamax does not cause side effects that are characteristic of other anticonvulsant drugs. The drug does not have any effect on the hormonal system in women and does not increase the risk of polycystic ovaries. In addition, taking Topamax is almost not associated with the risk of developing any allergic reactions.
The advantages of Topamax in the comorbidity of migraine and epilepsy:
- reduction in the duration of epileptic seizures;
- weakening of physical and psychological discomfort of the patient;
- effective relief of both episodic and chronic headaches;
- minimal risk of the epileptic status recurrence;
- regression of concomitant mental disorders (dysthymia, depression, hypochondriasis manifestations).
An additional advantage of Topamax is the almost complete absence of contraindications to its use. However, before buying Topamax, patient should be aware of the fact that the drug should not be taken in hypersensitivity to the active ingredient Topiramate.
One of the obstacles to an effective treatment of epilepsy and concomitant headache can be the high cost of Topamax in a conventional pharmacy. The patient can reduce the cost of treatment in two ways:
- order Topamax online;
- buy a Topamax generic, which can be sold under another brand name or the non-patented name Topiramate.
The cost of the anticonvulsants in the online pharmacy is lower than that in the city pharmacies. Therefore, buying Topamax online helps save time and money.
Topamax is not the only Topiramate trademark. On the shelves of pharmacies, patients can find anticonvulsants, which are sold under the trademarks Qudexy, Trokendi, Epiramax.
After the appearance of Topamax generics on sale, practitioners of epileptologists have the opportunity to prescribe inexpensive medications to their patients, and thus reduce the total cost of long-term therapy for epilepsy and/or migraines.